Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I’m Not My Father’s Son: Chapter 14

I’m Not My Father’s Son (Fan Fiction Inspired By John Carpenter's Starman)

by, Melissa R. Mendelson
Chapter 14:
“Is this really necessary?”
Thomas looked over at the man sitting in the front passenger-seat.  His shirt was still bloody, but it was dried and dark.  There were little spots of red decorating his gray dress pants.  What hair he had was a mess with little grays rising upward, grays that Thomas vowed to never show, but he didn’t shave his head either.  The silver Rolex on the man’s wrist glinted against the rising sun, and for a moment, he thought he saw the hands on the watch move, which was impossible.  The watch had been dead for years, but then he thought of Scott.  And that was why Mark Shermin was sitting with his wrists handcuffed together.  “Yes,” Thomas snapped at him, and then he touched his ear piece, listening to whoever was on the other side.
“You could at least give me an ear piece, so I can listen in.”
“You’re lucky that you’re not tranquilized and thrown in the back, Mark.”
“You’re a dick, Thomas.  Why don’t you just shoot me?  Again?”
“I didn’t shoot you, Mark.  I killed you, but that’s what you get when you do something dumb like stab me with a needle.”  Thomas shook his head.  “He’s not your son, Mark.  I’m sorry that you and your son aren’t close…”
“Don’t talk about my son.”
“Okay.  Look, I don’t want to fight with you.  After today, we can go our separate ways.”
“After today, I’m done.”
“Do you think he’s going to let you retire, Mark?  With all that you know and have done?”
“You’re one to talk, Thomas.”
“I’m not going to apologize for my past, and I have no regrets about betraying you.  The decision’s been made, and the problem is going to be neutralized.”
“His name is Scott,” Mark snapped at him.  “Just let him go home.”
“And the aliens are going to what?  Leave like they did last time?  Maybe, he’ll piss them off, and they’ll wipe us out.”
“You’re crazy.”
“I’m a realist, Mark.  We can’t let him get near them.  As soon as he is in our sights, we take him out.”
“Don’t you want to dissect him first?”
“No.  We’re past that, and he’s probably dying fast anyway.”
“And the girl?  You going to kill her too?”
“I gave her a chance, Mark.  All she had to do was run.  Her staying was her mistake.  Now, are you going to behave, or am I going to have to use my gun to silence you?”
“I thought you weren’t going to shoot me again.”
“No, but I can use it to knock you out.”
“You’re a dick.”
“You said that already,” and Thomas waved his gun at Mark.  He watched Mark turn away and look out the window.  “Think of it this way, Mark.  You get to smoke that cigar,” and Thomas dropped the cigar onto his lap.  “You’re welcome.”
“He’s not going quietly.”
“He can’t control his powers, Mark.  Maybe, if we’re lucky, he’ll self-destruct,” and Thomas touched his ear piece.  “Showtime,” and he flashed a cold grin at the man beside him.  “I thought he would never get here.”
“Yeah,” Mark Shermin said as he looked down at the handcuffs.  “Welcome to Winslow, Arizona.”  He slammed back into his seat as Thomas hit the gas, and the black van disappeared down the road.

No comments: