Monday, June 26, 2017

I’m Not My Father’s Son: Final Chapter

I’m Not My Father’s Son (Fan Fiction Inspired By John Carpenter's Starman)
by, Melissa R. Mendelson
Final Chapter:
If you asked someone about 2007, you would get a lot of answers.  President Bush was planning to station additional troops in Iraq.  Microsoft released Windows Vista and Office 2007.  Senator Barack Obama of Illinois announced his run to become the next president of the United States.  Thirty-two people were killed in the Virginia Tech Massacre.  O.J. Simpson was arrested for kidnapping and armed robbery.  The Boston Red Sox won the World Series.  Did all this happen in 2007?  Yes, and these would be the answers given.  But nobody would mention Winslow, Arizona or what happened there, and if they did, then they would disappear.
If you looked really hard, you would find something, a news story about the disappearance of Tina Henders.  The story would be vague, talking about a bar fight and a freak occurrence, where a man fell through a brick wall.  Then, the story would go on to say that she visited her aunt and took her car, but after that, she was never to be seen again.  Some speculated that she just ran away.  Others said that she took off with a man, one of her coworkers.  Her father, who was a New York City Police Officer, refused to give up the search for his daughter, and then one day out of the blue, he stopped looking, never telling anyone the reason why.  And just like that, she was gone, but was she really gone?
It's ten years later.  They’re still looking for me, but they won’t find me.  They won’t find her.  My father was right when he said that a lot more terrible things will happen to this world, and I couldn’t stop it.  But I’m not giving up.  My father was also right about something else.  He was my father, but I am not my father’s son.  I am something else, and I am still here.  And I am not going away.  I am not giving up, and one day, the world will know about me.

No comments: